Legal first aid in case of dawn raids
In case of dawn raid
A dawn raid is when the Danish Competition Authorities carry out an unannounced inspection at your premises. Read on to learn more about dawn raids and what they entail and how you and your business should respond.
A dawn raid is an unannounced inspection carried out by either the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority or the Public Prosecutor for Special Crime (PSC). The purpose of an unannounced visit is to reduce the risk that proof of any competition law infringement will be removed.
Know your rights and obligations
If a dawn raid is carried out at your business premises, it is important that you know your rights and obligations. To this end, Bech-Bruun's experts have prepared a detailed guide of all material measures to be taken and a brief instruction for reception desk staff. Moreover, we have also developed our own dawn-raid app, a handy way to receive advice and guidance.
However, you must also immediately contact one of our lawyers specialising in competition law. You will find their contact details below.
- The officials will typically arrive in the morning
- They usually turn up in groups of 6-8 officials and 1-2 police officers
- The officials will ask to speak with the management
- The officials will bring a court order describing the purpose of their visit.
What to do
- Be polite and welcome the officials. Remain calm
- Ask them whether they represent a competition authority or the PSC (the police)
- Request the officials to identify themselves, write down their names or photocopy/scan their ID cards
- Ask the officials to await the arrival of your undertaking’s contact person(s) (preferably in a vacant conference room)
- Notify the appointed contact person(s) immediately
- In consultation with the appointed contact person(s), contact one of Bech-Bruun's competition law specialists. See contact details below
- Do not answer any questions about the undertaking, and do not hand over any documents
- If possible, make sure that the officials do not leave the reception area/the conference room until the appointed contact person(s) can meet them.
Download the app
Download other documents
For more information
If you want to be updated on dawn raid developments – and receive updated versions of our dawn-raid manual, subscribe to our service here.
In the event of a dawn raid at your premises, we assist you with practical advice over the telephone until your lawyer arrives at your address.
If you want to know more about dawn raids carried out by the Danish Competition and Consumer Agency or the EU Commission as well as searches conducted by PSC, feel free to contact us.